Science Olympiad or "SO" is a national non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of K-12 science education, increasing male, female and minority interest in science, creating a technologically-literate workforce and providing recognition for outstanding achievement by both students and teachers. These goals are achieved by participating in Science Olympiad tournaments and non-competitive events, incorporating Science Olympiad into classroom curriculum and attending teacher training institutes.
Virginia Science Olympiad (VASO) is a non-profit which seeks to engage and challenge students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics through various levels of team-based competitive tournaments in Virginia.
In order to advance and develop science education, the primary mission of VASO is to:
- Increase K-12 student interest and success in the sciences
- Improve community perception of science and recognize talented students and dedicated teachers in science education through teamwork and competition
- Conduct events so as to improve the quality of science education
- Organize regional and state VASO tournaments and provide encouragement and information to potential participants
- Encourage and develop relationships between science educators, science students and science-related industry
- Represent and cooperate with National Science Olympiad
- Provide financial support through fundraising efforts for the foregoing purposes
- Coordinate with commonwealth and local agencies and organizations to promote and build support for VASO
Virginia Science Olympiad does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, genetic information, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or veteran status in its activities or operations.