Science Olympiad is nationwide competition. Students compete in 23 events that include earth science, biology, chemistry, physics,
and engineering. Science Olympiad is designed to increase a student’s interest in STEM fields and provide recognition for outstanding
achievement in team events. Students compete in Science Olympiad with the top teams advancing from Regional to State to National levels.
The New Mexico State Science Olympiad tournament is hosted by New Mexico Tech in Socorro, NM. Teams from Divisions B and C will have the opportunity to compete in Regional events across the state. We look forward to supporting our students in STEM! More details can be found at NMT.edu/STEM
State Science Olympiad 2022 will be held February 25th-26th, 2022.
This will be a Hybrid Event.
2.25.22: Online - To include testing for all events that do not contain any build components.
2.26.22: In Person Build Events - This will include all events containing partial or full builds. Impounding will begin at 11:00am.
2.26.22: Awards Ceremony -
The award ceremony is planned for in person on NMT Campus. This will also be live streamed for anyone that is unable to be present for it. Here is the link
for the live streamed Awards Ceremony.
6pm - 7pm - B Division Awards
7pm - 8pm - C Division Awards
• Experimental Design: This event will be conducted in the spirit of an on-site event. The structure of the test is different but critical elements of Experimental Design remain the same. You and/or your group's ability to imagine, design, communicate and evaluate a science experiment will be tested. You can use a calculator in this event, however please only use your collective brains as a source of information. By going forward with this activity - you are agreeing to not use outside sources of information. Everyone in your division has been given the same test. Have fun.
• Impounding: Impounding will begin at 11:00am on 2.26 and end at 12:00pm
o For Mission Possible, please go to the back of the theatre in Macey Center, as the front will be closed down until awards. This also prevents students from having to go through all of Macey Center to get to Impounding for this event.
• Aerial Scramble:
o We will be providing the Guillows Skystreak Glider for students.
•(2c)•Teams may bring up to 4 rubber motors, each not exceeding 2.0 grams.
•(2d)•Teams may bring winders, assembly tools, fixtures (freestanding from airplanes), sandpaper, adhesive systems, thread, pins, tape, rubber O-rings for motors, clay and their logbook. All items must fit inside a single clear sided container with an approximate footprint of no more than 12” x 12”.
•(2e)•Teams must bring a first aid kit that should contain at least 3 adhesive band-aids and any other first aid equipment the team feels is necessary.
•(2f)• Additionally, teams must bring cutting boards and wax paper to cover any and all work surfaces.
•The items in (2e) and (2f). do not need to be included in the above referenced (2d) tool box.
• Wright Stuff and Electric Wright Stuff:
o The height of the gym to the girders is 25’.
The West Gym dimensions are 80’x103’x25’
Trajectory/Storm the Castle:
• The East Gym height is 20'
• The CAD software used will be TinkerCAD.
• Masks are optional. They may be required for the awards ceremony - we are awaiting clarification on this.
Indoor food and drinks will be allowed.
• Spectators, family, and friends are welcomed to join us.
• Please be sure that students have their printed notebooks and cheat sheets; as time out of browser is being monitored, and for the majority of events is not allowed.
• Please be sure to remove cell phones during testing to help prevent the temptation of cheating.
2022 Event Schedule:
Impounding will start at 11:00am and end at 12:00pm for build events on 2.26.22