Welcome to Black Mountain Middle School Math Team!
Why Black Mountain Math Team?
- The MATHCOUNTS Competition Program is a national middle school coaching and competitive mathematics program that promotes mathematics achievement through a series of fun and engaging "bee" style contests. The program exists in all 50 states plus U.S. territories and the Department of Defense and State Department schools and is supported by the National Society of Professional Engineers at the state and local levels. The school level competition for all team members will be held on December 2018. 12 students will be selected to represent BMMS in San Diego Regional in February 2019. Please see http://www.mathcounts.org/ for details.
- The AMC-8 is a 25-question, 40-minute, multiple-choice test in middle school mathematics designed to promote the development and enhancement of problem-solving skills. The contest is held in November every year. This year it will be on November 2018. The examination provides an opportunity to apply the concepts taught at the junior high level to problems which not only range from easy to difficult but also cover a wide range of applications. Many problems are designed to challenge students and to offer problem solving experiences beyond those provided in most junior high school mathematics classes. Please see http://www.maa.org/math-competitions/amc-contests/amc-8 for details.
- The AMC-10 is a 25-question, 75-minute, multiple-choice test in secondary school mathematics containing problems which can be understood and solved with algebra and geometry concepts. 7th and 8th grade students may take AMC-10. AMC-10 will be conducted on Feb 2019. More details at http://www.maa.org/math-competitions/amc-contests/amc-1012.
2018-19 Black Mountain Math Team composition:
- One team (25 students) will be formed for 2017-2018 school year.
- A mathcount school team (10 students + 2 backup) will be formed in late Dec based on following criteria (To be revised):
- Homework (10%): for each homework, receive 2 points if 75% answers are correct, otherwise receive 1 point
- Competition Test (90%)
- AMC8 - 25 points
- 2017 Mathcount School test - 46 points (30 points for sprint round and 16 points for target round)
- Mathcount Mock Test - 23 points (46 * 50%=23)
- Total: 94 points
As always, parents involvement is huge to success of this program. This year, we are able to setup two teams (Blue and Black) and accept 50 students instead of 30 because more parents volunteered to coach. We need team parent to help to organize T-shirt design challenge as well as End-of-year celebration. Please contact BMMS Math Team Head Coach at email@example.com. Thank you for your consideration.
2018-19 Meeting Schedule:
Schedule: We will meet once a week from September 2018 to Mar 2019. In addition, we will hold additional session for math count teams if there is enough parent support.
Meeting Time & Place (General):
- Tuesday, starting August 28, 2017 from 6:00 - 7:30 pm BMMS RM403.
(Please note that AMC8/Mathcount Competition for all team members will happen on Tuesday)
Upcoming important dates for all team members:
- Tuesday, August 28, 2018: Parent/Student Meeting
- Wednesday, November 15, 2017: AMC-8 official test
- Tuesday, December 5, 2017: Mathcount School Competition