There are three Science Olympiad Divisions:
- Division A (Grades K-6)
- Division B (Grades 6-9)
- Division C (Grades 9-12)
Elementary schools may take advantage of Elementary Science Field Day sponsored by the San Diego County Office of Education Elementary Science Field Day and/or register up to six teams per school to compete at the San Diego Science Olympiad Division B Tournament. Participation is limited to age-appropriate events and prohibited where safety is a concern.
- Students on the team must be from the membership school; and a school is considered to be a separate school if it has a separate administrator. Recruiting from neighboring schools, districts, counties or states is not permitted. If you are home-educated or attend a virtual school, please see team qualification requirements under the national Home and Virtual School Policy at National Science Olympiad Team Qualification.
- A team may have up to fifteen (15) students.
- Any student can compete at only one Division level (either Division B or C, not both) at a single school.
- A maximum of five (5) 9th grade students (from the previous year's enrollment of 8th grade students) may participate on a Division B team.
- A maximum of seven (7) 12th grade students may participate on a Division C team.